To set an appointment you can call (515) 294-4800 and speak with the UHR Service Center. You can email Ann Doty, the Retirement Specialist. If you will give 2 or 3 dates with times you would like to meet that are 2 or more weeks in the future, she will often get back to you confirming an appointment on one of your options.
You can also set an appointment to have a telephone conversation to get your questions resolved or email her and she will respond in detail.
The Office offers the following services on a confidential one-to-one basis:
- Individual education on retirement decisions and problems
- Information on ISU's Phased retirement programs and other benefits
- University retirement procedures
- Explaining TIAA/CREF income, investment and allocation options
- Filling out applications for TIAA-CREF, IRA, GSRAs; and IPERS
- Exploration of additional savings options for retirement and other financial goals
- 401(k)s and other rollovers
- Life-time income illustrations for TIAA-CREF retirement savings
- Set up web access for your TIAA-CREF account
The Retirement Consultant can help with all the issues listed below:
- How to read quarterly statements and other correspondence from TIAA-CREF.
- How to prepare for a TIAA-CREF individual appointment.
- When and how do I rebalance my retirement savings?
- Investment fundamentals (how stocks and bonds work) and understanding your TIAA-CREF options.
- Choosing between TIAA-CREF funds for your retirement contributions.
- Financial Steps to Retirement.
- Why you need a cash reserve.
- What are the risks in saving for retirement?
- Additional ways available to save for retirement including the ROTH IRA, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), and Traditional and Roth IRA.
- Options of how to take retirement income from TIAA-CREF investments.
- How much income do you need when you retire?
- Who needs long term care insurance?
- Emotional Aspects of Retirement Planning.
- Emotional Aspects of Retirement.
- ROTH IRAs and ROTH Conversions - when they are appropriate.
- Who needs a financial advisor and how to choose one?
- Stock market trends and how the market works.