1. Create Notice of Vacancy (NOV) on ISU Classification & Hiring System & route for approval.
Individual administrative units may have specific routing and approval procedures. If you are unsure of your department's procedures, you should check to verify their procedures.
2. EOD/HRS will submit ALL vacancies to Iowa Workforce Development - Iowa Jobs (Iowa Workforce Development).
3. If there is an AFSCME contract transfer, HRS will notify the department and release the application of the most senior eligible candidate.
4. Verify that the most senior transfer candidate meets the qualifications for the position and notify HRS of the start date. HRS will finish and approve the hire on the ISU Classification & Hiring System. After you receive the email notification, you can initiate the Electronic Payroll Action. (Skip to step # 16.)
5. If there is no contract transfer, HRS will release applications for your review.
6. Score application materials . Screening Tips.
7. Contact previous employer/references provided by the applicant. Sample Reference Questions.
8. Determine applicants to be interviewed based on score and reference checks.
9. Complete online applicant rating. You may route for interview approval.
Note: Per the Employment Verification and Background Check Policy, EOD/HRS will initiate the background check for the individual(s) (all candidates selected for interview or the candidate(s) selected for hire) as directed by the hiring department. Hiring department’s responsibilities
11. If needed, conduct further reference checks.
12. Make preliminary selection & complete the online Pre Employment Monitoring form (PEMF) and route for hire approval.
Any offer of employment should be conditional pending administrative approval.
13. After receiving approval from EOD/HRS, make formal offer of employment to the selected applicant.
Determine if the selected applicant is a U.S. citizen, a U.S. permanent resident (immigrant), or nonimmigrant. If the selected applicant is NOT a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, contact International Students and Scholars to determine work eligibility.
14. Send the following forms to the selected applicant:
15. Upon return of signed acceptance of offer, finalize hire by verifying information on the PEMF tab and entering SS# on the Confirm Hire tab.
Retain records of employment decisions within the employing unit for a period of three (3) years from the date of the decision. Application materials will be retained online for a period of three years.
16. Initiate the Electronic Personnel Action and send the required items to Records Management, 3810 Beardshear Hall:
17. Notify unsuccessful interviewees that the position has been filled. Sample Letters.
18. Direct employees transferring from another department to AccessPlus to update their address after EPA has completed routing.
For New Employees:
19. After the Electronic Personnel Action is completed, the Benefits office will forward benefit information to the new employee.
20. Sign up for University Orientation
Have the employee log onto AccessPlus - HRS Training. If the employee needs assistance, have the employee contact the HR Service Center at email@example.com or 294-4800.