Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 503
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs routine typing or word processing assignments such as preparing standard forms, letters and cards, and performs related clerical work as required. Duties involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and types standard forms, lists, letters and other material from rough draft or transcribing machine, by detailed instructions or other source documents. Data entry of information into databases.
- Does initial proofreading of various materials for typographical errors.
- Sorts and files forms, reports, and correspondence alphabetically, numerically or by other predetermined classification.
- Sorts and routes mail.
- Checks forms, lists, questionnaires and related materials against established requirements and reports discrepancies.
- Answers the telephone and greets guests, referring questions to appropriate persons.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of office routines and functions sufficient to refer visitors and telephone calls and to route correspondence by name or functional area.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill in typing fast and accurately.
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Ability to learn to operate a personal computer or online systems and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately.
- Ability to learn and perform clerical procedures.