Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 505
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs typing or word processing assignments such as preparing documents, tabular data and reports and performs related clerical work as required. Duties involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and types mailing lists, letters, tabular data, accounting and other reports, routine medical records, examinations, and other material from rough draft, transcribing machines and various other source data. Types information into databases.
- Reviews completed documents to assure correctness of terminology, spelling and grammar.
- Codes, tabulates, posts and assembles fiscal, statistical and related data including standard forms, correspondence and records.
- Greets and assists the public, patients, students, faculty and staff and provides information relative to the area of assignment and according to established guidelines.
- Performs clerical and secretarial tasks for the unit such as completing forms and documents, scheduling meetings, ordering and maintaining supplies, preparing bills and filing
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of office routines and functions sufficient to refer visitors and telephone calls and to route correspondence by name and functional area.
- Knowledge of institutional and unit policies, processes, and forms.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, format and clerical procedures.
- Skill in operating a personal computer.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill in typing large amounts of data fast and accurately.
- Ability to sit at a desk and concentrate visually for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to utilizing computer packages, online systems, and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic computations.
- Ability to collect data and keep records accurately.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to type at a minimum speed of 40 net words per minute; and
- Any combination of clerical office experience, undergraduate education, and/or post high school clerical training that is the equivalent to one year of full-time employment.