Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 505
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs secretarial work such as typing, making appointments and serving as a receptionist for one or more staff members on a regular basis. Duties involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads and distributes incoming mail and assembles files and other material to facilitate reply by supervisor.
- Prepares and proofs minutes of meetings, correspondence, tabular data, reports, medical records, examinations, articles and other material from rough draft, dictating machines, various other source data and instructions.
- Receives visitors and answers the telephone; screens calls and callers, disposing personally of routine matters or referring them to appropriate persons.
- Maintains appointment schedules and arranges for meetings and conferences.
- Makes travel arrangements and prepares expense vouchers.
- Maintains general databases and spreadsheets, hard copy and computized files, account records, and a variety of other office records such as student and patient records.
- Operates office equipment such as computers, copiers, calculators, and/or facsimile machines.
- Assigns, coordinates and reviews the work of student personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of office routines and functions sufficient to refer visitors and telephone calls and to route correspondence by name or functional area.
- Knowledge of institutional and unit policies, processes and forms.
- Knowledge of proper format, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately.
- Ability to collect data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Any combination of related clerical office experience, related undergraduate education and/or post high school clerical training that is the equivalent to one year of full-time employment and includes the use of word processing, and;
- Ability to type at a minimum speed of 40 net words per minute.