Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 513
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs general payroll and budget functions for a major segment of the institution. Duties may involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software including the use of on-line accounting systems, and/or conventional office equipment. May provide functional supervision. (pay grade changed from 512 to 513 as a result of the 1999-2001 AFSCME pay grade review process)
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors financial, personnel, and operational activities for a number of accounts and divisions; analyzes requests and recommends appropriate source of funds to cover expenditures; prepares periodic reports.
- Processes and updates payroll and payroll records.
- Initiates requisitions and vouchers; maintains accounting records; reconciles monthly accounting statements for a number of accounts; balances accounts receivable and accounts payable; verifies expense vouchers and processes cash advances.
- Maintains and coordinates a major Accounts Receivable Billing system.
- Provides information concerning policies and procedures related to the area of assignment.
- Keeps records of deposits and payments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of bookkeeping principles and practices.
- Knowledge of spreadsheets and on-line accounting systems.
- Knowledge of accounting forms and procedures of the institution.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and interpret institutional and other policies accurately.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and display data in appropriate format and keep accurate records.
- Ability to make decisions requiring interpretation and judgment.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Five years of clerical office experience, including three years experience with bookkeeping procedures, or
- Any combination of directly related post high school education in an accredited school and directly related clerical experience which totals five years.