Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 508
General Class Description
Under general supervision, accepts custody of cash receipts and fee payments, issues cash advances, maintains cashier's change fund, accounts for daily cash receipts, and prepares daily bank deposits, all in accordance with established procedures. Duties may involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment. May provide functional supervision.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives payment from students, staff members, student organizations, etc., in connection with room and board charges, locker and key deposits, supplies, cafeteria purchases, housing rents, and miscellaneous fees; completes appropriate receipt forms; registers and deposits funds received in cash register.
- Receives and arranges deposit of funds from various university operations, and organizations; prepares forms crediting proper accounts and registers monies received.
- Issues cash advances (travel, student loans, etc.), expense reimbursement checks, etc., cashes checks, sells tickets and performs related cashiering duties.
- Completes checking of all cash transactions daily; balances register tape with funds received and compiles reports of receipts.
- Prepares daily bank deposits; counts and completes record of kinds of funds to be deposited; confirms by rechecking amount of deposit and arranges for transfer of funds to bank. Provides information related to area of assignment to public, students, faculty and staff using a variety of communicative sources as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of effective communication skills in order to handle customer concerns, requests, or complaints.
- Skill in operating a cash register and similar equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to count currency and make change accurately.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and apply institutional and other policies accurately.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over employees.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Three years experience as a Cashier I or in a comparable position. Any combination of directly related post high school education in an accredited school and directly related clerical experience which totals three years from which comparable ability and knowledge can be acquired.