Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 506
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs work involving the sorting, distributing and dispatching of mail.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Sorts mail into pigeon holes of mail racks or into bags, according to address, mailing center, organization, department or other schema and ties and labels mail for distribution to campus sites or U.S. Post Office facilities.
- Weighs individual pieces or bags of mail on scales, computes postage based on weight and/or number of pieces and stamps mail by hand or with postage meter. Maintains records for purposes of billing users of mail service. Maintains records of incoming and outgoing Certified, Registered and Insured Mail.
- Inserts letters, circulars, or pamphlets into envelopes by hand or machine.
- Addresses and zip codes mail by hand or labeling machine. Conducts address search in cases of incomplete address. Maintains address records.
- Completes meter machine reports recording such data as ascending and descending readings from the meter, data, order number and department to be charged.
- Completes permit mail reports, third class bulk rare reports, second class monthly and annual reports as required.
- Calculates charges for postage as required.
- Responds to inquiries regarding postal charges and delivery options as needed.
- May perform duties of Mail Distributor on an as-needed basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of institutional shipping and receiving procedures.
- Knowledge of postal regulations and reference sources.
- Skill in the operation of postal equipment such as scales and related machinery.
- Skill in using personal computers and online systems to access and verify data.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to recognize errors and check with appropriate source for clarification of problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public as necessary.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic computations.
- Ability to collect data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Any combination of clerical experience or post high school education that totals one year, or
- Equivalent training and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.