Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 512
General Class Description
Under general supervision, makes decisions regarding student admissions, academic progress or graduation, continually functioning independently of administrative supervision, and coordinates activities with faculty and/or administrative offices. May provide functional supervision. Duties may involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Makes final recommendations that determine eligibility for admission or graduation based on written and interpreted university and collegiate policies.
- Analyzes student academic records, screens student admissions and resolves current registration problems.
- Counsels and advises students concerning their academic problems; receives and answers inquiries by mail and by telephone; makes verbal and written commitments relative to academic progress of students.
- Performs special projects and studies; compiles periodic reports for supervisor.
- Interprets and defines policies regarding rules and programs for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Assigns, coordinates, and reviews the work of other clerical personnel for conformance to guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of institutional and collegiate policies and guidelines relative to student admission, transfer and graduation.
- Skill in utilizing computer software and online systems.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions requiring interpretation and judgment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and interpret institutional and other policies accurately.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and display data in appropriate format and keep accurate records.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over employees.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Five years clerical office experience of which at least three years of experience* should be in an Admissions or Registrar's Office, or in an office which routinely works with student academic records.