Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 505
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, is responsible for seeing that copy is prepared in appropriate form for review. Duties involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Proofreads copy; corrects spelling, grammar and punctuation, and checks for conformance to prescribed format and adherence to institutional policies.
- Reads and recommends the placement of copy and illustrations.
- Meets with customers to discuss changes and/or recommendation to copy. Prioritizes tasks to ensure projects meet established deadlines.
- Provides instruction for production and distribution of documents.
- Maintains current and archival files and mailing lists. .
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper format, grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and proofreading techniques.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer or online system and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to collect data and keep records accurately.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- High school diploma or GED, and
- One year of clerical office experience, which includes work with editing publications, or any combination of related education and experience from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired.