Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 508
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for proofreading, verifying, and modifying copy in the appropriate format. Provides functional supervision to other clerical employees as required. Duties involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals, and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Proofreads and modifies copy to conform to appropriate editorial style and format and ensure adherence to Univeristy and other applicable publishing guidelines.
- Compiles information and graphics to be included in the document and verifies facts for clarity and consistency. Follows-up on discrepancies or areas of concern.
- Writes or rewrites headlines and/or captions and may draft basic articles according to publication requirements, codes articles for transmission, and reviews materials.
- Coordinates procedural efforts of personnel involved in layout and design work.
- Advises writers and staff members of publication schedules and deadlines.
- Organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of other employees involved in preparation and distribution of documents.
- Reproduces, formats, and may create graphics for publications.
- Meets with clients to discuss changes and recommendations, and obtains clients approval.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper format, grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and proofreading techniques.
- Skill in utilizing computer packages and online systems.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill in modifying copy.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and apply institutional and other policies accurately.
- Ability to collect data, verify data, and keep accurate records.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over other employees.
- Ability to organize and priorities multiple tasks.
- High school diploma or GED, and
- Two years of experience working with publications, which includes at least one year primarily involved in editing and modifying copy, or any combination of related education and experience from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired.