Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 512
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs difficult and complex technical duties related to numerous functions pertaining to accumulation and dissemination of medical information on a decentralized basis; and provides functional supervision to Health Information Technicians and assistance as required. Duties may involve the use of personal computers, computer terminals and a variety of software and/or conventional office equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates efforts with clinical department administrators and chart control personnel, Billing Office personnel, Utilization Review personnel and immediate supervisor to accumulate medical information on a decentralized basis to meet dictated deadlines.
- Assists Health Information Technician IIs in their efforts to retrieve delinquent records, resolves difficulties encountered in the abstracting processes and provides back-up assistance in their absence.
- Supervises coding and abstracting functions as directed by or in the absence of immediate supervisor.
- Performs regular internal audits of departmental coding and abstracting functions for review by supervisor.
- Assists in training and instruction of employees and the development of department policies and procedures pertaining to the coding and abstracting processes.
- Prepares and directs the preparation of research requests for physicians/dentists and other authorized hospital personnel on hospital inpatients, and tabulates medical information from indexes, statistical reports and medical records.
- Answers inquiries and disseminates patient medical data for requests from other institutions and medical personnel for patient information in accordance with hospital policies pertaining to confidentiality of patient medical information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of medical record coding practices, procedures, and reference sources.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and interpret institutional and other policies accurately.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and display in appropriate format and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions requiring interpretation and judgment.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over subordinate employees and students.
- Certification as a Registerd Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) including two years experience as a Health Information Technician or equivalent experience, or
- Five years related medical records experience including two years experience as a Health Information Technician or equivalent experience.