Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 508
General Class Description
Under general supervision, provide assistance to clients in acquiring Hospital services. Assist Veterinary students and doctors in locating medical documents and other client information. Operate client and patient software program to access data and also to update and enter information.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule appointments using client and patient software to record the appointment. Determine if it is an emergency situation and which services to schedule. Relay information and requirements for the appointment to client or referring veterinarian. Provide special instructions for dermatology, ophthalmology, specialized radiological procedures, surgery, eye certification and proper usage of medication.
- Provide information to clients regarding Hospital policy on admitting animals; consent form for treatment; payment procedures, credit policy and billing procedures; types of services available and prices of hospital services.
- Receive and register clients. Collect information from client and establish or update client and patient information using the client and patient software program. Establish account. Enter exam fee and medical record fee. Compile charges on the account according to hospital policy. Collect deposits from clients for inpatient care. Enter payments and adjustments to client’s accounts.
- Prepare paperwork for patients visit. Assist veterinarian in pulling medical records or locating patient history. File client information in permanent files.
- Take prescription and food orders and deliver to appropriate veterinarian or pharmacy or customer as appropriate. Deliver prescribed medication and supplies to clients.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate by phone and in person with individuals in a variety of situations in a positive and helpful manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of medical records.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of veterinary hospital routines and functions.
- Ability to assess emergencies and refer to appropriate hospital staff.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of animal disease symptoms.
- Ability to come in contact with animals.
- Ability to work in an environment that houses and heals sick animals.
- Ability to work in an environment with animal noise, animal odors, animal dander and hair and animal excrement and blood.
- Ability to utilize veterinary client and patient registration system.
- Ability to enter data with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to provide assistance to veterinary students who are learning office systems and processes.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to retrieve files and pet supplies.
- Ability to carry/hold/restrain animals.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Customer service or receptionist experience which totals two years. Knowledge of medical terminology or animal disease symptoms, or,
- Post high school education that provides the knowledge and skills to perform the job duties.
- Data entry skills.