Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 505
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates key entry equipment to enter and verify data. Oversees the flow of assigned jobs. Performs heads-down keying and maintains accurate keying and high keystroke per hour rate.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates key entry equipment to encode data from a large variety of forms provided by university offices into a machine readable form, using a variety of record formats with different job procedures in accordance with written instructions.
- Proofreads source documents to ensure required information is present. Verifies and corrects errors in data keyed by other operators. Communicates with other offices concerning problems with data or jobs; reports major, uncorrectable errors to supervisor.
- Sets up machine (key entered program) according to type of job submitted from the department and per specific written instructions.
- Locates missing or illegible information on source documents using a variety of materials; uses the specific punctuation and abbreviations required by each department.
- Oversees the flow of assigned jobs to ensure accurate and timely completion, instructs other operators in specifications of assigned jobs and answers their questions on jobs.
- Keeps record of personal time; furnishes reports for supervisor describing errors corrected during verification. Perforates and initials source documents to indicate processing is completed.
- Greets public and answers telephone as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the operation of key entry equipment.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to instruct Key Entry Operator I's on key entry procedures.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
- Ability to concentrate on repetitive work under noisy working conditions.