Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 411
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates large multiprocessing and midrange computers and associated devices. Coordinates and performs procedures necessary to maintain work flow through computers. Monitors controls and makes appropriate decisions about the information computing processor and networks consisting of multiple interconnected local and remote systems. Provides continuous uninterrupted service to clients.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and controls a large multiprocessing and midrange processing system in a distributive environment, diagnoses and documents system failures as necessary and performs procedures for recovery.
- Maintains, monitors and controls the daily production processing and report distribution activities including necessary modification of processing control statements. Communicates processing problems to programming staff.
- Assists in execution of network control operations including diagnostic and documentation activities, records searches related to problem determination, responding to problems of clients by providing appropriate procedure over the phone.
- Provides control checks and verification of daily processing to ensure data integrity is maintained.
- Monitors computer room environment and support components, responding to environmental alarm conditions, maintaining computer room security, and maintaining appropriate inventory of supplies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic information processing and terminology.
- Knowledge of basic data processing principles.
- Knowledge of process control statements and ability to read and understand process control statements.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques and ability to lift heavy boxes.
- Ability to diagnose hardware and software problems.
- Ability to read and interpret policies, manuals and instructions.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and prepare reports.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and clients.
- Ability to withstand noise from computer equipment, glare from terminal screens and cool temperatures.
- Two years relevant post high school computer information processing technology courses and/or relevant work experience.