Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 415
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for maintaining software packages for automated operations. Monitors and coordinates all functions of a multiprocessor interactive information system with multiple large networks running concurrently. Assists in the operational and control aspects of systems programming. Provides functional supervision to staff in work unit.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates automated operations software by performing process scheduling data base maintenance and maintaining report distribution software as required. Monitors and controls batch scheduling systems and establishes job processing priorities to meet department and university deadlines.
- Directs computer or network operations by establishing standard operating procedures, providing assistance and functional supervision to subordinate staff and ensuring smooth transition between work shifts.
- Rebuilds job streams terminated by computing systems or program malfunctions, and/or makes decision to call in analyst to rebuild job streams.
- Directs and performs problem determination procedures on systems, devices and networks in the principal processing centers.
- Maintains data center physical security.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of information processing systems and terminology.
- Knowledge and understanding of various personal computer systems and software packages.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques and ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to recognize and resolve complex systems, computer and network errors.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and prepare reports.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision for subordinate and student employees.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to read and interpret policies, manuals, and instructions.
- Three years experience as a Computer Technician I; or
- Five years of relevant post high school computer technology courses and/or relevant work experience.