Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 403
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs cleaning, routine maintenance and other related non-technical work in a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans laboratory area and equipment and washes or sterilizes instruments and glassware used in a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory.
- Receives, unpacks, and properly distributes or stores mail, freight, biological specimens or environmental samples to be used in a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory.
- Runs errands such as delivering experimental animals or cleaned equipment to proper location.
- Assists in rigging and dismantling simple experimental equipment for a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory, and in other ways provides non-technical assistance with laboratory experiments and procedures.
- Assembles components into kits, e.g., Wasserman kits, and readies them for mailing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of care and use of laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and equipment and supplies required.
- Ability to use proper bending and lifting techniques.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.