Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 405
General Class Description
Under direct supervision performs cleaning, routine maintenance and related work in the laboratory including elementary but responsible tasks related to the conduct of clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory activities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans laboratory and equipment and washes or sterilizes instruments and glassware to insure proper cleanliness.
- Receives, unpacks, and properly distributes or stores mail, freight, biological specimens or environmental samples to be used in the laboratory. May decipher codes on specimen or sample container in order to make proper deliveries.
- Assists in running of experiments by simple data collection from equipment or observation of animals and recording of results on standard form.
- Assists in rigging and dismantling experimental equipment and performs standard tests to determine equipment accuracy.
- Mixes chemicals and other solutions to prepare media, reagents, and drugs according to established instructions or procedures.
- Runs errands, such as delivering or picking up experimental animals, samples, specimens or equipment used in laboratory.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of care and use of laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and equipment and supplies required.
- Ability to use proper bending and lifting techniques.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to keep basic records and inventories.
- Ability to use and care for tools in maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to prepare simple chemical solutions according to instructions.
- High School graduation, including courses and related lab work in general science or chemistry, or
- One year of Laboratory Assistant I or related experience.