Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 410
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs difficult and complex technical duties related to a number of functions in a clinical, environmental, teaching or research laboratory, and provides functional supervision to Laboratory Technicians and assistants as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs complex analytical procedures and limited method development in research and service laboratories such as enzyme assays, incubation and growth of bacteria, isolation of TB and typhoid fever, milk and water contamination levels, etc.
- Collects or may direct the collection of data from complex equipment and animal observations and records on standardized or original data records.
- Performs involved statistical analyses on data using computer software programs.
- Mixes or may direct the preparation of media or reagents, etc., and prepares special drugs according to specifications for experimental research.
- Performs and may direct the care of animals in the laboratory including diet plans, records of observations, ventilation provisions, etc.
- Performs and demonstrates simple histological and other techniques used as a part of a complete laboratory function.
- Maintains a laboratory area and equipment; inventories and accounts for equipment and supplies in the laboratory.
- Assembles and dismantles and may direct the assembling and dismantling of equipment and apparatus for experiments of some complexity. May assist in the construction of complex electrical and mechanical apparatus.
- Assists in the preparation of bibliographies for research projects from library research, reprints, and technical journals as required.
- Performs, or may direct performance of, data entry, labeling and processing of laboratory specimens.
- Responds to, or may direct response to, telephone inquiries regarding laboratory specimens or samples. Investigates and resolves laboratory questions with minimum guidance.
- Assists in training of laboratory staff.
- Performs functional supervision of staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of care and use of laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Knowledge of keyboarding and computer data entry skills.
- Ability to use proper lifting and bending techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to collect data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports.
- Ability to count, add, subtract, multiply, divide and determine percentages.
- Ability to work with computerized inventory control systems.
- Ability to use and care for tools in maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to perform difficult lab procedures and prepare chemical solutions according to instructions.
- Ability to perform aseptic techniques.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to exercise functional supervision over employees.
- Ability to make decisions requiring interpretation and judgment.
- Three years of laboratory experience including one year as Laboratory Technician II or equivalent level experience, or
- Certification as a Certified Laboratory Assistant (CLA) and one year of Laboratory experience, or
- Any combination of related post high school education and experience which totals three years, or
- Two years of technical schooling required for certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician.