Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 409
General Class Description
Under general supervision, prepares human and animal tissue for diagnostic and research uses and performs simple analysis thereof. Is proficient in the performance of all routine and specialized procedures in the histopathology laboratory.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares human and animal tissues from surgical, diagnostic, and autopsy sources, employing established techniques for fixation, dehydration, embedding, sectioning, and staining of the specimens.
- Is able to perform specialized staining methods, and fixation and processing procedures.
- Studies all microscopic preparations to determine if the preparations are correct and complete. Makes repetitive analyses of the sections according to standard criteria.
- Maintains complete histopathology laboratory records in an orderly system.
- Assists in directing the work of other laboratory employees engaged in histological or related work: and give laboratory orientation and training to new employees in the histology laboratory.
- Is responsible far the proper preparation, storage, and maintenance of dyes, stains, and other solutions used in the histopathology laboratory. Maintains and cleans equipment.
- Eligibility for certification by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists in histologic technique.