Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 408
General Class Description
Under general supervision, prepares and photographs materials on the electron microscope and prepares materials for use in laboratories.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives, labels, and catalogues tissue specimens.
- Prepares specimens, trims and shapes to proper dimensions; prepares replicas for viewing.
- Sections specimens with hand instruments and microtome, stains specimens color or optical stains, retrims sections to smaller dimensions, and restains specimens with metal stain to absorb electrons.
- Operates electron microscope to photograph sections; develops pictures and makes enlargements.
- Prepares solutions and fixatives used in the above processes-, maintains records and files on tissues examined.
- Under direct supervision, assists in disassembly of electron microscope, cleans and performs minor maintenance and adjustments.
- Orders materials and keeps laboratory in good working order.
- Maintains files of equipment, I negatives and records.
- Assists in training others to operate electron microscope.
- Two years of post high school with natural science course plus one year Electron Microscope laboratory course, or
- Two years of post high school education with natural science courses, plus one year of Electron Microscope laboratory experience, or
- One year of post high school education with natural science courses, plus two years of Electron Microscope laboratory experience,
- Three years of Electron Microscope laboratory experience.