Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 411
General Class Description
Under general supervision, prepares and photographs materials on the electron microscope, cleans and maintains the microscope, and provides functional supervision for the electron microscope laboratory.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives, labels, and catalogues tissue specimens.
- Prepares specimens, trims and shapes to proper dimensions; prepares replicas for viewing.
- Sections specimens with hand instruments, microtome, and ultratome; stains specimens with color or optical stains, retrims sections to smaller dimensions, and restains specimens with metal stain to absorb electrons.
- Operates electron microscope to photograph sections; develops pictures and makes enlargements.
- Prepares all solutions and fixatives used in the above processes, and maintains records and files on tissues examined.
- Provides functional supervision to other laboratory personnel engaged in the performance of all or parts of the duties noted above.
- Partially disassembles the electron microscope, cleans and performs minor maintenance and adjustments.
- Assists people in operating instruments, and provides suggestions as to proper usage.
- Attends conferences and workshops to keep abreast of developments in the field.
- Four years of laboratory work, which includes at least two years of experience using histological techniques, or any combination of laboratory experience and post-high school education in the physical or natural sciences from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired,
- and One year of experience as an Electron Microscope Technician I or experience comparable thereto