Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 412
General Class Description
Under general supervision installs, repairs and maintains electronic communication network, wiring, and connections from the system's Main Distribution Frames (MDF) through the Intermediate Distribution Frames (IDF) and to and including the wall jack outlets for voice and data electronic communication equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, maintains, modifies and repairs electronic communication networks, associated wiring and plug outlets for intra building communication from IDF's to wall outlets for customer voice and data electronic equipment.
- Installs, maintains, modifies and repairs inter and intra building communications cable as necessary from MDF's to IDF's. Provides documentation of routing and connections.
- Uses electronic test equipment such as, but not limited to, multi-meters, tone generators, signal tracers and transmission level test set to optimize voice and/or data circuits.
- Determine and activate alternate circuitry links for those circuits determined faculty by test and analysis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of electronic theory, circuitry, industry and departmental standards related to voice and data communication.
- Knowledge of functions and capabilities of voice and data communications networks.
- Knowledge of telephone wiring color and installation standards.
- Knowledge of cable installation, routing, splicing, fastening and connectorization methods.
- Skill in performing installation tasks without damage to cable and circuits.
- Skill in use of electronic test equipment in diagnosing circuit problems.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to distinguish color spectrum used in wire coding.
- Ability to perform tasks in an effective and timely manner consistent with departmental standards and guidelines.
- Ability to implement corrective action based on diagnosed circuitry problems.
- Ability to use various hand tools.
- Graduation from a two-year resident electronic technology trade school, or any combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and experience can be gained.