Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 415
General Class Description
Under general supervision installs, maintains and monitors operations of electronic communications networks from the Main Distribution Frames (MDF) to and including the central electronic communications switch and associated software.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, maintains, modifies, repairs and monitors the operational performance of electronic communication switching hardware and software.
- Installs connections on voice and/or data circuits from central electronic communications switch to main distribution frames (MDT). Interacts with software to program electronic ports in communications switch. Records and maintains documentation of connections and post usage.
- Installs, maintains, modifies and repairs digital devices to include central electronic communications switch, combiner and/or router used in transporting voice and/or data over twisted pair, coaxial cable, and/or fiber optic transmission cable.
- Uses electronic test equipment such as cable analyzers, oscilloscopes and other specialized equipment to diagnose problems on central electronic communications switch and related network system.
- Provides functional supervision and training of Communications Technician I.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of electronic, mechanical and physical characteristics of communications switches and related network systems.
- Knowledge of the transmission characteristics of various mediums used to transmit voice and/or data.
- Knowledge of computer programming concepts and techniques to include binary, octal, and hexadecimal numbering systems.
- Knowledge of the electrical and physical characteristics of twisted pair, coaxial and/or fiber optic cable.
- Skill in the reading and comprehension of technical data related to electronic devices used in movement of voice and/or data over communications network systems.
- Ability to write clarifications of technical data related to network systems.
- Ability to apply knowledge and skill to problem solving on communications switches and network systems.
- Ability to connect input and output devised to various transmission mediums in a manner which minimizes the existence of the medium.
- Ability to train others in various tasks required of Communications Technicians.
- Graduation from a two-year resident electronic school and three years of experience in electronic communications transmission and termination to include vendor schools required to repair and maintain the specific electronic communication switch and network system or any combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and experience can be gained.