Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 415
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs technical work requiring a high degree of skill and knowledge of radiation safety regulations and their application to radiation safety programs. Provides functional supervision to other personnel as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews local, state, and federal rules and regulations and makes recommendations for revisions or implementation of new procedures.
- Meets with and advises experimenters on radiation safety problems and recommends methods for solving or avoiding such problems.
- Assigns, coordinates, and reviews the work of other personnel for conformance to established guidelines.
- Establishes and reviews procedures for the maintenance and calibration of all radiation detection equipment.
- Directs and reviews the collection and accurate recording of necessary data and reports according to local, state, and federal regulations.
- Directs and reviews on-going radiation safety activities, such as personnel dosimetry, surveys, records, decontamination, instruments, radioactive shipments, etc.
- Operates waste disposal facilities, including ion exchange and filter systems, evaporators, and compactor as required.
- Graduation from a two year Health Physics Technician Training program and one year of related experience, or
- Any combination of related work experience and post high school education in the physical sciences that totals four years and includes at least one year of Health Physics Technician II or equivalent level experience.