Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 415
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs technical work requiring knowledge and skill in the operation and maintenance of television and radio broadcasting equipment. As a Technical Director, provides functional supervision to personnel in lower classifications.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs duties described under Television - Radio Technician I and II.
- Operates, maintains, repairs, and installs television and radio equipment, such as color and black and white cameras and video tape equipment, audio consoles, transmitter remote control equipment, video switching and processing amplifiers, radar, studio to transmitter microwave links, and AM, FM, and TV transmitters.
- Provides functional supervision to operators in area, such as AM, FM and TV transmitter plants, TV master control, video and audio control, AM and FM radio control, TV projection, and video tape areas and is responsible for the technical operations on the station during assigned shift.
- Designs integration procedures, both physical and electronic, for new equipment and plans procedures for implementing new programming and recording concepts.
- Maintains and uses various test equipment, such as distortion analyzers, generators, modulation calibrators, modulation monitors, and oscilloscopes.
- Attends workshops, conferences and otherwise keeps abreast of technical developments in the field.
- Licensure as required by the Federal Communications Commission, and
- Completion of a two-year technical school in broadcast electronics and five years of television studio or transmitter experience, or
- Any combination of related training and experience totaling seven years with at least three years experience in radio or television station.