Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 413
General Class Description
Prepares construction/maintenance project designs, programs, and cost estimates. Inspects materials, equipment, and workmanship used, assuring conformance to plans and specifications.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares cost estimates for building construction, maintenance, and alteration projects.
- Recommends modifications in design/maintenance criteria and specifications
- Prepares design working drawings, sketches, and drafts for remodeling, repairs, or new building construction projects, including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical components
- Designs, programs, installs and commissions automation systems
- Prepares specifications for public bid projects
- Prepares and initiates orders for materials and/or equipment.
- Interprets blueprints and specifications and discusses deviations to insure compliance with institution, local, state, and federal building codes and regulations.
- Inspects materials and workmanship used in construction or repairs for conformance to specifications and plans
- Prepares design and as-built drawings, specifications, estimates, maintenance procedures, and reports
- Observes work in progress to insure that procedures followed conform to specifications or master program plan
- Prepares periodic and completion reports for projects.
- Conducts performance tests of mechanical, electrical or plumbing systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of technical drafting or engineering practices, procedures and reference sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and the public.
- Ability to identify and evaluate technical problems when conducting performance testing procedures.
- Skill in operating technical equipment related to specified trade area.
- Skill in utilizing computer software for uses such as design, scheduling, planning and or data management.
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance and repairs on technical equipment.
- Ability to estimate labor and material costs, and to prepare, initiate and obtain quotes and orders for project materials and equipment.
- Two years post high school education in a related technical field including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and/or heating, ventilating, and air conditioning, and
- Two years related experience, which includes regular participation in activities such as project planning, designing, ensuring code compliance, estimating project costs, investigating problems, recommending actions or similar tasks, or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience totaling four years