Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 415
General Class Description
Under general supervision, oversees and coordinates the preparation and review of engineering drawings, justifications, and estimates for accuracy and utility. Provides functional supervision over support staff and Engineering Technicians I.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the preparation of engineering drawings, including schematics, sketches, layouts, cost estimates, and detailed specifications.
- Reviews drawings and estimates for accuracy and utility.
- Investigates methods, materials, and equipment to be used in building construction and alterations. Makes recommendations to engineers, contractors, and buyers.
- Designs, programs, installs and commissions automation systems.
- Confers with engineers and architects concerning feasibility of proposed facilities and renovation of existing facilities.
- Confers with University faculty and administration on projects requested by the department.
- Participates in review of bids and quotations and makes recommendations for awarding of contracts.
- Prepares design and as-built drawings, specifications, estimates, maintenance procedures, and reports.
- Reviews and recommends payment of vouchers and invoices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of technical drafting or engineering practices, procedures and reference sources.
- Knowledge of processes and procedures related to the design and construction coordination of new and remodel/repair projects.
- Skill in operating technical equipment related to specified trade area.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and the public.
- Ability to identify and evaluate technical problems when conducting performance testing procedures.
- Skill in utilizing computer software for uses such as design, scheduling, planning and or data management.
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance and repairs on technical equipment.
- Ability to estimate labor and material costs, and to prepare, initiate and obtain quotes and orders for project materials and equipment.
- Two years post high school education in a related technical field including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and/or heating, ventilating, and air conditioning, and
- Three years related experience, which includes regular participation in activities such as project planning, designing, ensuring code compliance, estimating project costs, investigating problems, recommending actions or similar tasks, or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience totaling five years.