Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 410
General Class Description
Under general supervision, coordinates instructional facilities of teaching and clinical laboratories.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently develops both standard and original experimental apparatus and components for the entire range of the program. This includes the fields of optics, thermodynamics, mechanics, acoustics, nuclear physics and medical departments.
- Draws, designs, and reads circuit diagrams and repairs standard electronic laboratory equipment.
- Assembles new electronic components at the suggestion of instructors.
- Assembles apparatus and distributes to other laboratories.
- Stores and maintains all equipment used in work area.
- Repairs and/or arranges for the repair of electronic, mechanic, electrical, optical or medical apparatus.
- Orders supplies and expendable items far teaching or clinical laboratories.
- Assists in the assembly and set-up of laboratories for use in teaching students or other staff and professional personnel.
- Gives functional guidance in the use of laboratory equipment.
- Operates equipment in assigned work area as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of equipment and methods used in laboratory and maintenance work.
- Knowledge of safe working practices.
- Ability to use proper lifting and bending techniques.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and understand plans and specifications.
- Ability to use and care for tools and equipment essential to maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to maintain an accurate system of records.
- Ability to ascertain specific needs of clients and prepare necessary drawings and specifications.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with clients.