Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 408
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs semi-independent field research operations or laboratory research operations in an associated laboratory related to the preparation for and completion of agricultural research.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates, repairs and maintains standard and specialized field machinery to perform cultural and experimental practices on field research plots, such as tillage, planting and harvesting.
- Operates, repairs and maintains specialized research equipment in the associated laboratory.
- Collects and records experimental data and observations.
- Reads and understands maps of an instructions for field experiments and performs standard operations independently.
- Provides functional supervision to part-time personnel and subordinates as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to spend long periods out-of-doors in varying weather conditions and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 60 to 100 pounds.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of pesticide applications, storage and record keeping.
- Ability to safely operate, repair and maintain standard and specialized field machinery and specialized research equipment.
- Ability to make observations, collect data and accurately keep appropriate records.
- Ability to interpret maps of and instructions for field experiments.
- Knowledge of field research operations.
- Two years experience with field research or any combination of related post high school education and experience which totals two years.
- Possession of state driver’s license or commercial driver’s license.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification as required.