Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 411
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs independent field research operations or laboratory research operations in an associated laboratory related to the preparation for and completion of agricultural research.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates, repairs, and maintains standard and specialized field machinery to perform cultural and experimental practices on field research plots, such as tillage, planting and harvesting.
- Operates, repairs and maintains specialized research equipment in the associated laboratory.
- Collects and records experimental data and observations and records all experimental procedures performed.
- Observes, inspects and records data from field research plots during the season and reports to the project leader.
- Acts as a crew leader to be responsible for and provides functional supervision to subordinates at and away from the laboratory.
- Assists superiors in planning field plot layout and data collection.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to spend long periods out-of-doors in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 60 to 100 pounds as required.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of pesticide applications, storage and record keepng.
- Ability to safely operate, repair and maintain standard and specialized research equipment.
- Ability to make observations, collect data and accurately keep appropriate records.
- Ability to interpret maps of and instructions for field experiments.
- Knowledge of field research operations and ability to direct the work of others.
- Four years experience with field research or any combination of related post high school education and experience which totals four years.
- Possession of state driver’s or commercial driver’s license.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification as required.