Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 406
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, utilizes standardized testing procedures to evaluate the seed quality of agricultural seeds.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Determines percentages of pure seed, weeds, other crop and inert components on submitted seed samples of agricultural seeds in accordance with the Association of Official Seed Analyst (AOSA) "Rules for Testing Seeds".
- Identifies and records botanical names of weeds and other crop seeds found in submitted samples.
- Evaluates standardized germination tests in agricultural crops and classifies seeds/seedlings in accordance with the AOSA "Rules for Testing Seeds."
- Plants germination nests in accordance with AOSA, Canada Agriculture, and the International Seed Testing Association Rules for Testing Seeds.
- Prepares seed samples for routine and special tests.
- Enters testing data and/or verifies accuracy of data entry.
- Assists staff in conducting short courses and workshops by answering questions from individuals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of "AOSA Rules for Testing Seeds" and other related publications such as Seed Laws and Handbooks concerning seed testing issues.
- Knowledge of seed morphology and physiology.
- Knowledge of early growth characteristics of various groups of seeds in order to properly evaluate their growth potential.
- Ability to identify numerous agricultural crops.
- Ability to examine and manipulate small seeds and seedlings.
- Ability to perform mathematical computation in order to determine percentages from the weight calculations.
- Ability to enter data into a computerized database.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions such as noise, pollen, odors, chemicals, dust and mold.
- High school graduation plus one year of work experience or an equivalent combination of post high school education and work experience from which one can acquire knowledge of laboratory techniques, equipment and terminology and/or knowledge of various kinds of agricultural seeds.