Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 410
General Class Description
Under general supervision, produces complex technical illustrations and other graphics art work from original designs or rough drafts for publication, teaching, and group presentation. May operate a small graphics unit, or provide functional supervision over graphics technicians as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Confers with clients to suggest ideas and determine type of media or service, due dates, and costs.
- Prepares camera-ready drawings and copy from furnished rough drafts, plotted graphics and/or verbal instructions.
- Produces educational graphics such as overhead transparencies, camera-ready slide art, flat art for live video-taping and large two-dimensional teaching aids such as flip charts and flannel boards, from verbal or rough visual information using plotting, perspective and projection, selecting appropriate typeface and inks, pasting up, running ozalid copies, adding color and textural pattern, in order to produce educational graphics.
- Designs and produces three-dimensional displays from verbal requests or rough design from clients, combining photos, illustrations, and verbal information using various graphics and construction techniques in order to produce displays for group viewing or presentation.
- Prepares final art production work including final keylines, ink drawings, necessary overlays, dropouts for halftones, proportioning of photos and other graphics.
- Prepares complex graphs, charts, forms.
- Operates typesetting machines, diazo and thermal copies, laminators, and dry mounting presses as required by specific job.
- Executes comprehensives/design dummies.
- Selects type and determines specifications of forms and covers.
- Coordinates and monitors completion of graphics work done for the unit by other departments and outside services.
- Performs basic photographic and copy work to record on film written records, medical and/or dental afflictions, or other related material as necessary.
- Trains students and other personnel in the unit as necessary.
- Inventories/orders equipment and supplies as necessary.
- Three years experience in related graphics, drafting or art work using technical and creative skills, or
- Any combination of equivalent experience and art or drafting training exclusive of high school courses that totals two years.