Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs journey level diagnosis, maintenance and repair work on the functional parts of mechanical equipment, vehicles, and machinery. Duties require knowledge and skill in the use of tool and test equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspects equipment and machinery and diagnoses malfunctions using engine analyzers, refrigerant recovery and recycling units, electronic control testers, pressure gauges, factory manuals, etc.
- Repairs automotive electrical, fuel, brake, emission, mechanical, hydraulic, and exhaust systems.
- Diagnoses and refers repairs that are not approved for in-house repair.
- Disassembles and overhauls engines pumps, generators, transmissions, rear ends, etc., making necessary corrections and part replacements.
- Maintains periodic checks on mechanical equipment and makes adjustments such as carburation, braking, alignment, oil and fuel pump ratio, etc.
- Maintains shop equipment and work area. Performs needed adjustments on tools.
- Performs safety inspection on vehicles.
- Maintains accurate records on inventory, safety checks, warranties, and services performed.
- Communicates necessary repairs and service estimates with customers.
- Orders and maintains parts and supplies and initiates purchase orders as directed.
- May have functional supervision over student workers and/or Mechanic's Assistants.
- Attends trade courses as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in operating and driving motor vehicles.
- Skill in the use of diagnostic equipment and tools used in the trade.
- Skill in the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of automotive machinery and vehicles.
- Knowledge of motor vehicle maintenance.
- Knowledge in the use of power and hand tools related to the trade.
- Ability to safely handle and use cleaning chemicals, fuels, and equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret technical service manuals.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to lift, carry, and move parts weighing up to 75 pounds, to be on feet for prolonged periods of time, and work under a hoist.
- Ability to work in adverse conditions such as weather extremes, around fumes, noise, dust, and dirt.
- Ability to train and supervise other workers.
- Ability to read, write, and follows instructions.
- Four years experience in the trade, including apprenticeship and vocational training.
- Valid state driver's license.