Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the level of a journeyworker to build and repair wooden and related structures, and performs other duties related or incidental thereto.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Constructs, installs, and repairs cabinets, doors, windows, screens, shades, blinds, and other components not available from commercial sources.
- Constructs partitions and builds and strips concrete forms; insulates walls and installs ceilings; performs demolition work as necessary.
- Lays tile, linoleum, laminates and various other kinds of coverings on floors and other surfaces; patches, repairs or replaces work and damaged floors; installs counter tops and covers other surfaces; cuts forms and adheres coverings to various shapes and types of surface; and tapes and finishes dry wall.
- Draws rough layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Assists in directing work and training of apprentices and other help.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the carpentry trade.
- Ability to perform the full range of carpentry tasks independently.
- Ability to interpret and follow carpentry instructions and specifications such as blueprints, manuals, sketches, and work orders.
- Ability to operate safely and care for carpentry tools, machines and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials used in carpentry and ability to determine materials needed for the job and prepare cost estimates.
- Ability to lift or maneuver up to 100 pounds.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to erect ladders and work at heights.