Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 211
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the level of a journey-worker to design, fabricate, repair, restore and install cabinetry, doors, windows and related work. Performs the duties of Carpenter and performs other duties related or incidental thereto.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Constructs, installs, repairs and restores cabinets, laminates, windows, screens, blinds, solid surface materials, mail/security collection boxes and other components not available from commercial sources.
- Plans, designs, estimates and provides layouts of all projects (cabinets, doors, counter tops, specialized furniture).
- Fabricates and restores historical buildings to include moldings, details, furnishings, floors, pedestals, columns and scroll work.
- Fabricates templates for machinery moldings.
- Draws precision layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Assists in directing the work of carpenters and other workers.
- Performs all Carpenter duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the carpenter and cabinetry trades.
- Ability to perform the full range of carpentry and cabinetry tasks without supervision.
- Ability to interpret and follow carpentry and cabinetry instructions and specifications such as blueprints, manuals, sketches and work orders.
- Ability to operate safely and care for carpentry and cabinetry tools, machines and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials used in carpentry and cabinetry; ability to determine materials needed for the job and prepare cost estimates.
- Ability to perform a broad and varied range of carpentry and cabinetry tasks with precise attention to detail.
- Ability to lift or maneuver up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to erect ladders and scaffolding.
- Ability to work from heights.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with carpentry and cabinetry.
- Ability to transport building materials to job sites.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Four years of experience in the carpentry trade, including apprenticeship, and
- Two years of experience in the cabinetry trade.