Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 212
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies knowledge, skills and abilities at the journey level to install and repair electrical systems and equipment (generally less than 600V). Demonstrates Journeyman Electrician qualifications, training, experience and technical knowledge. Responsible for the coordination and accomplishment of maintenance, operations and modifications. Performs the duties peculiar to, and normally required in, the trade of electrician, following recognized procedures and techniques for such work. Utilizes special tools, equipment, and processes (such as insulation testers, thermal imaging cameras and Thermal/Infrared (TIR) Predictive Testing procedures) to collect, perform initial diagnostics, and respond to data through established guidelines for preventive and predictive maintenance to ensure equipment reliability.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all duties listed under Electrician I.
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs and replaces 600 volts and less electrical distribution systems and related equipment, including but not limited to main panel board control systems, programmable controls, solid state control systems, step up and down transformers, current and potential transformers, protective field devices, line monitoring equipment and VFD’s.
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs control systems including lighting, programmable controllers, and building heating and cooling system programmable controllers.
- Performs preventive maintenance on electrical equipment systems and control systems.
- As required, will commission 600 volts and less electrical distribution systems and related equipment, and control systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of safety precautions mandated by OSHA, NFPA, NEC and the EPA.
- Demonstrates all knowledge, skills, and abilities listed under Electrician I.
- Knowledge of electrical control systems, including variable frequency drives.
- Ability to use and interpret specialty tools and equipment used to troubleshoot electrical equipment and systems.
- Ability to plan and perform work involving the installation, modification, troubleshooting and repair of new and existing control systems and related equipment.
- Ability to work in all types of environmental conditions or in areas where there is exposure to excessive noise, dirt, and fumes and at elevated heights from ladders, scaffolds, or hydraulic lifts.
- Ability to work independently during normal work hours and after hours.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Requires State of Iowa Class A Journeyman Electrician license with at least four years as an apprentice plus two years of experience as a journeyman electrician; or
- State of Iowa Class B Journeyman Electrician license with eight years in the electrical trade in maintenance or construction.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet University’s Fleet Safety Program.