Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates equipment used in the landscaping and maintenance of university grounds. Provides functional supervision as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates machinery to remove snow and perform landscaping, fine and rough grading and related maintenance of roads, parking lots, and other campus grounds.
- Operates dozers, draglines, backhoes, endloaders, graders, trucks and other equipment to fill ditches, remove trees and buildings, build roads, lay tile and water lines, and load and unload heavy material.
- Maintains and repairs equipment.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices.
- Responds to calls for emergency service including snow removal as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work outside during inclement weather and to be on call during emergency situations.
- Skill in the operation of equipment such as dozers, draglines. endloaders, graders, and trucks and knowledge sufficient to maintain and repair such equipment.
- Ability to operate trucks and equipment in a safe and conscientious manner.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instruction.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate the work of others.
- Two years of related equipment operating experience.
- Possession of a valid Chauffeur's or Commercial Driver's License as required.