Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs skilled work at the level of journeyworker in building with bricks, stone, concrete and similar material, using mortar or cement as a bonding agents and performs other duties related or incidental thereto.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Uses the tools and equipment of the trade to lay brick, concrete block, glass block, partition tile, stone, glazed and ceramic tile; finishes concrete, tuckpoints, sets forms and reinforcing steel using hand and power tools.
- Draws layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices and other help.
- Performs plastering work and drywall finishing as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the masonry trade/.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, and blueprints.
- Ability to plan and perform work involving the installation, modification and repair of new and existing brick, stone or concrete structures.
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment of the masonry trade and skill in their safe use.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of standard building codes as they apply to the masonry trade.
- Ability to work off scaffolding, ladders or swing stages.
- Ability to lift 100 pounds.