Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, position applies knowledge and skill at the journey level, to prepare surfaces and mix and apply paint, and performs other related duties.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares surfaces for refinishing by sanding, scraping, filling cracks and taping sheet rock; works from ground or floor level, from ladders, and from stationary and swing stages.
- Applies paint with brush, roller and sprayer; hangs wallpaper and vinyl and acoustical wall covering materials; glazes, refinishes and antiques woodwork; and mixes stains and paints.
- Determines method, materials, and equipment needed to complete job assignments.
- Keeps a record for each project: materials used, colors, textures, locations, dates, and tasks performed.
- Cleans and maintains brushes, rollers, sprayers and other tools and equipment.
- Cuts and sets glass and reputties windows and may perform plastering duties.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in the painting trade.
- Knowledge of the properties, purposes, preparation and uses of painting materials and tools.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools of the painting trade safely and skillfully. Ability to erect and work from ladders and scaffolds safely.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, architect drawings and verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to perform the full range of painting tasks independently.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions, work at heights, and in environment that may have dust or fumes.