Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 211
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the journey level to install and repair piping, fixtures, appliances and appurtenances related to steam, water and drainage systems, and performs other duties related to incidental thereto. (pay grade changed from 210 to 211 as a result of the 1997-99 AFSCME pay grade review process)
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs and repairs sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters and softners and garbage disposals; install and repairs radiators, convectors, autoclaves, traps, valves, pumps, meter, and related piping and equipment.
- Installs heating and cooling coils, traps and refrigeration piping.
- Installs and maintains water and steam distribution piping and control equipment; fire hydrants and related distribution system equipment; installs and maintains sanitary and storm sewer systems.
- Draws layouts, and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Performs general sheet metal work as required.
- Welds using arc, gas, heliarc and spot welding techniques.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the pipefitting trade.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment of the trade and skill in their safe use.
- Knowledge of welding techniques and equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of applicable building code requirements.
- Ability to plan and perform work involving the installation, modification and repair of new and existing piping systems.
- Ability to follow instructions, specifications and blueprints.