Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies the knowledge and skill of a journeyworker to build, cover and repair roofs, and performs other work related or incidental thereto.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Makes special and routine roof inspections; locates and repairs leaks in asphalt, asbestos, and slate shingles, tile and built-up roofs and single-ply membranes.
- Replaces asphalt shingles, and other cold application roofs, and built-up roofs and applies caulking materials and membrane waterproofing.
- Erects and removes scaffolding; assists sheet metal mechanics and carpenters when not roofing.
- Performs all other duties peculiar to, and normally required in the trade of roofer and damproofer, following recognized procedures and techniques of such work.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices and other help.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to safely erect and work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the roofing trade.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications and blueprints.
- Knowledge of roofing tools and equipment and skill in their safe use.
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures.
- Ability to work at heights.
- Ability to lift 100 pounds.