Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the level of a journey worker to cut and shape metal, and to assemble, install and repair metal fabrications.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Fabricates, assembles and installs fume hoods, exhaust fans, heating and cooling ducts, and exterior sheet metal work.
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines such as shears, brakes, lock former, forming stakes, nibbler and other related sheet metal shop equipment.
- Draws layouts and reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Assists in directing the work of apprentices and other help.
- Welds duct work and other light gauge metals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the sheet metal trade.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications and blueprints.
- Knowledge of sheet metal materials, tools and equipment and skill in their safe use.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to plan and perform work involving the design, assembly and installation of sheet metal fabrication.
- Ability to lift 100 pounds.
- Ability to work in all types of environmental conditions or in areas where there is exposure to excessive noise, dirt, and fumes and at elevated heights from ladders, scaffolds, or hydraulic lifts.
- Ability to work independently during normal work hours and after hours.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Four years of experience in the sheet metal trade, including apprenticeship.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet the University’s Fleet Safety Program.