Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, examines, estimates and completes the upholstering of furniture pieces.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Examines torn, worn, or damaged furniture: advises as to fabrics available; suggests appropriate coverings and prepares estimate (materials and labor costs) for the reconditioning of piece(s).
- Receives work orders for furniture pieces to be upholstered; requisitions desired fabrics and materials required; checks invoice with materials received, routes same for payment and arranges for furniture to be delivered to shop or fabrics placed in storage.
- Removes covering from piece to be repaired; examines padding, burlap coverings, springs, etc; and completes repairs makes necessary replacements.
- Measures and cuts new covering materials; sews pieces as patterns require and tacks and/or sews covering to frame.
- Maintains records of job time according to shop area for upholstering and loading completed pieces for return to location.
- Directs the work of an apprentice upholsterer in the movement of furniture, removing of old coverings, replacing padding and completing like tasks relating to upholstering work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the capabilities and characteristics of materials and the methods and techniques used in upholstering and repairing furniture.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates for upholstery projects.
- Ability to safely and skillfully use and maintain various hand and power tools used in upholstery work.
- Ability to understand and interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform work which requires considerable physical effort.