Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, sprays chemical solutions or toxic gases and sets mechanical traps to kill pests that infest buildings and surrounding areas.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Sprays chemical solutions or dusts powders in rooms and work areas.
- Places poisonous paste or bait and mechanical traps where pests are present.
- Uses toxic gases to fumigate rooms and buildings.
- Maintains records on date, total hours, chemical dilution rate and quantity of diluted chemical used.
- Responds to calls for emergency service including snow removal as required.
- Conducts outdoor pest control activities related to animal control.
- Directs maintenance of shop machines and equipment.
- Trains and evaluates shop personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to locate, recognize and exterminate a wide variety of pests.
- Knowledge of pesticides and the eligibility to select the most appropriate pesticide according to the growth stage of the pest, length of time the chemical is to remain potent and the mode of action.
- Knowledge of proper pesticide storage and mixing techniques.
- Ability to maintain a system of records identifying date, total hours, chemical rate, quantity of diluted chemical used and other information required by state law.
- Ability to safely use and maintain the tools and equipment of the trade such as traps, manual and power spraying equipment, fumigating equipment, fogging equipment, dusting equipment, etc.
- One year experience in pest control and pesticide application.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification as required. May be required to complete other commercial pesticide certification tests.