Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 204
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs minor maintenance and repair of building equipment. Work does not require knowledge, training or ability at the journey level.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs minor general maintenance and repair work on facilities and equipment, i.e., repairs screens, windows, doors and door hardware, shades, blinds, furniture, lamps, handrails, traverse rods, rugs, floor tile, etc.
- Repairs and maintains various types of smaller equipment and parts including hydraulic parts on operating tables and small electrical appliances (toasters, mixers, mangles, etc.), wheelchairs, beds, and various types of carts.
- Places casters on new furniture and repairs broken casters.
- Repairs and maintains small shop machinery.
- Receives freight and transports to warehouse as assigned.
- Acquires supplies for various shops as assigned.
- Performs plastering, carpentry, and painting such as repairing bleachers, handrails, and walls.
- Assists with groundskeeping tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of equipment and methods used in maintenance work.
- Knowledge of safe working practices.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to use and care for tools and equipment essential to various maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including confined spaces, low light areas, at heights, with exposure to temperature extremes.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.