Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 207
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs general maintenance and repair on buildings and mechanical equipment. Work does not require knowledge, training or ability at the journey level.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with service and occasionally installs heating, plumbing, and electrical apparatus, i.e., gas and oil furnaces, water heaters, air handling units, pumps, exhaust fans, air conditioners, etc.
- Performs general maintenance on furnace filters, water heaters, exhaust fans, and air conditioners filters or screens.
- Repairs and performs minor maintenance on plumbing fixtures including repair of faucet leaks, sink stoppers, and shower heads; frees clogged sinks and drains.
- Performs minor general maintenance on facilities and equipment, i.e., repairs screens, windows, doors and door hardware, shades, blinds, furniture, lamps, handrails, traverse rods, rugs, floor tile, etc.
- Inspects and maintains maintenance machines including floor machines, wet-dry pickup vacuums, carts, shampoo machines, and carpet sweepers.
- Performs minor maintenance or replacement of various types of locks.
- Performs minor painting and plastering.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on mechanical and electrical equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of equipment and methods used in maintenance work.
- Knowledge of safe working practices.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to use and care for tools and equipment essential to various maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including confined spaces, low light areas, at heights, with exposure to temperature extremes.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.