Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs skilled and semi-skilled work in the repairing, servicing, and maintaining of buildings and electrical, mechanical and plumbing equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspects, maintains, and makes operating repairs on electrical equipment and wiring, plumbing fixtures and pipe, heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment, etc.
- Performs preventive maintenance on motors, pumps, and other equipment, and maintains appropriate records.
- Constructs sanitizers, installs oxygen outlets and systems according to engineering specifications.
- Performs preventive maintenance and emergency repair work.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, diagrams, and equipment specifications.
- Performs work in related crafts areas as assigned.
- Assists in directing the work of others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the hazards involved and safety precautions necessary in the electrical, mechanical and plumbing trades.
- Knowledge of work practices, methods, and processes utilized in the electrical, mechanical and plumbing trade.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance necessary for equipment and ability to maintain appropriate records.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques.
- Ability to operate safely the tools and equipment used in the electrical, mechanical and plumbing trades.
- Ability to interpret blueprints, diagrams and equipment specifications.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including confined spaces, low light areas, at heights, with exposure to temperature extremes.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Must possess a basic knowledge of plumbing, electricity, maintenance of steam and mechanical equipment; and
- Must have four years of work experience in the listed crafts, including apprenticeship or technical training. At least two years of that experience must be in the same craft.