Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under general supervision, position applies knowledge and skill at the journey level to install and repair piping, fixtures, appliances, laboratory equipment, and apparatus related to gas, air, steam, water, drainage systems, and heating and cooling systems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs and repairs sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters and softeners, garbage disposals, sprinkler systems, traps, valves, pumps, meters, coils, laboratory equipment, and other related piping and equipment.
- Tests, installs, and maintains water distribution piping and control equipment, fire hydrants, backflow valves, and related distribution systems equipment. Installs and maintains sanitary and storm sewer systems and gas piping.
- Draws layouts. Reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
- Schedules shutdowns on water, gas, steam, and drainage with building coordinator(s).
- Maintains records on equipment, inventory, and test reports on code compliant devices. Tracks materials and effort expended on each job assignment.
- May perform or assist in the performance of the duties of Steamfitter or Insulator.
- May provide technical support to Area Mechanics or student workers.
- Responds to calls for emergency repair services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, codes, OSHA rules, and safety precautions of the plumbing trade.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, and codes relating to sanitation and repair of new and existing plumbing fixtures and systems and other apparatus.
- Knowledge of asbestos recognition and handling techniques
- Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools of the plumbing trade safely and skillfully.
- Skill in performing maintenance, installation, and repair of plumbing apparatus.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, and blueprints.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to routinely lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to use manual dexterity and eye coordination for repair tasks and ability to work in confined spaces.