Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, paints sign lettering, numbers and names on doors and windows, and simple art work.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives shop order from supervisor requesting signs, lettering or art work required; checks for details, measurements, color, style, etc.
- Requests sign board stock, cut to size, sands smooth and applies various sealing and background coats of paint.
- Lays out design and lettering on background stock; paints in design or lettering using specially prepared brushes and paints for this purpose; after drying, applies clear sealant coat.
- Follows the same general practices above for lettering on doors, windows, etc.
- Cleans brushes and maintains paints, thinners, varnishes and other coating materials.
- Operates lettering equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in sign painting.
- Ability to interpret instructions and specifications.
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment used in sign painting.
- Ability to lay out accurately required design and lettering for signs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with those requesting work.